Monday, February 22, 2016

In My Head

I'm one of those people who get so wrapped up in my head that I perform perfunctory tasks without any higher level cognition whatsoever. I was so entrenched in a thought that I had to go back and check my coffee mug to see if I had added cream and sugar. I did.

What was I thinking about?

I was thinking about how I never thought I would be actively campaigning against the potential first female president of the United States. I always thought it would be an amazing day when that came, a day for the country to celebrate a monumental step away from treating its women as lessers.

Instead, inaugurating the first female president fills me with dread. Dread for the prolongment of the status quo. Dread of the rich bankers and corporate CEOs continuing to have more political power than ordinary people. Dread that the wealth gap will become ever wider.

I never thought that such a huge step for social progress would have deal-breaking strings attached. How foolish and idealistic can I be for not expecting this?

No comments: